Chronicles of Elantra
CAST IN SHADOW by Michelle Sagara
Back Cover: Seven years ago Kaylin fled the crime-riddled streets of Nightshade, knowing that something was after her. Children were being murdered–an all had the same odd markings that mysteriously appeared on her own skin…
Since then, she’s learned to read, she’s learned to fight and she’s become one of the vaunted Hawks who patrol and police the City of Elantra. Alongside the winged Aerians and the immortal Barrani, she’s made a place for herself, far from the mean streets of her birth.
But children are once again dying, and a dark and familiar pattern is emerging. Kaylin is ordered back into Nightshade with a partner she knows she can’t trust, a Dragon lord for a companion and a device to contain her powers–powers that no other human has. Her task is simple–find the killer, stop the murders…and survive the attenions of those who claim to be her allies!
Trade Paperback: Luna Books, August 2005, 0-373-80236-6, 409 pages
Mass Market Paperback: Luna Books, August 2006, 0-373-80254-4, Paperback, 507 pages
Read the first chapter: Cast in Shadow.pdf or html.
CAST IN COURTLIGHT by Michelle Sagara
Back Cover: No good deed goes unpunished…
In Elantra, a job well done is rewarded with a more dangerous task. And so, after defeating a dark evil, Kaylin must enter a place of deceit and treachery. A world where silk and jewels hide deadly secrets…
Kaylin goes before the Barrani High Court, where a misspoken word brings sure death. And Kaylin’s never been known for her grace or manners. But the High Lord’s heir is suspiciously ill and Kaylin’s healing magic is the only shot at saving him–if she manages to dodge the traps laid for her.
Only to discover that the healing might turn out to be the simplest of tasks before her…
Trade Paperback: Luna Books, August 2006, 0-978-80244-9, 488 pages Mass Market Paperback Luna Books, August 2006, 0-373-80254-4, 507 pages
Read the first chapter: Cast in Courtlight.pdf or html.
CAST IN SECRET by Michelle Sagara
Back Cover: Stolen goods were so much easier…
Still avoiding magic whenever possible, Private Kaylin Neya relished investigating a run-of-the-mill theft. Until she found out the mysterious stolen box had been taken from Elani Street, where the mages and charlatans mingled, and it was sometimes hard to tell the difference between the two. And since the box was ancient, without a keyhole, and held tremendous darkness inside, Kaylin knew unknown forces were again playing with her destiny–and her life…
Trade Paperback: Luna Books, August 2007, 0-373-80280-3, 488 pages
Mass Market Paperback: Luna Books, August 2008, 0-978-373-80283-8 491 pages
Read the first chapter: Cast in Secret.pdf or html.
CAST IN FURY by Michelle Sagara
Back Cover: To be or not to be…
When a minority race of telepaths is suspected of causing a near-devastating tidal wave, Private Kaylin Neya is summoned to Court–and into a PR nightmare. To ease racial tensions, the Emperor has commissioned a play, and the playwright has his own ideas about who should be the focus…
But Kaylin works her best magic behind the scenes, and though she tries to stay neutral, she is again drawn into a world of politics…and murder. To make matters worse, Marcus, her trusted sergeant, gets striped of his command, leaving Kaylin vulnerable. Now she’s juggling two troubling cases, and even magic’s looking good by comparison. But then nobody ever said life in the theatre was easy…
Trade Paperback: Luna Books, October 2008, 978-0-373-80269-2, 490 pages
Mass Market Paperback: Luna Books, August 2011, 978-0-373-80337-8, 491 pages
Read the first chapter: Cast in Fury.pdf or html.
CAST IN SILENCE by Michelle Sagara
Back cover: A member of the elite Hawk force that protects the City of Elantra, Kaylin Neya has sacrificed much to earn the respect of the winged Aerians and immortal Barrani she works alongside. But the mean streets she escaped as a child aren’t the ones she’s vowed to give her life guarding. Those were much darker…
Kaylin’s moved on with her life–and is keeping silent about the shameful things she’s done to stay alive. But when the city’s oracles warn of brewing unrest in the outer fiefdoms, a mysterious visitor from Kaylin’s past casts her under a cloud of suspicion. Thankfully, if she’s anything, she’s a survivor….
Trade Paperback: Luna books, August 2009, 978-0-373-80300-2
Mass Market Paperback: Luna books, August 2011, 978-0-373-80338-5
Read the first chapter Cast in Silence Chapter One.pdf or .html.
CAST IN CHAOS by Michelle Sagara
Back Cover: Swirling Chaos…
Kaylin Neya is a Hawk, part of the elite force tasked with keeping the City of Elantra safe. Her past is dark, her magic uncontrolled and her allies unpredictable. And nothing has prepared her for what is coming, when the charlatans on Elani Street suddenly grow powerful, the Oracles are thrown into an uproar and the skies rain blood…
The powerful of Elantra believe that the mysterious markings on Kaylin’s skin hold the answer, and they are not averse to using her–how ever they have to-in order to discover what it is.
Something is coming, breaking through the barriers between the worlds. But is it a threat that Kaylin needs to defend her city against–or has she been chosen for another reason entirely?
Trade Paperback: Luna books, August 2010, 978-0373-80319-4
Read the first chapter Cast in Chaos Chapter One.pdf or .html.
CAST IN RUIN by Michelle Sagara
Seven corpses are discovered in the streets of a Dragon’s fief. All identical, down to their clothing.
Kaylin Neya is assigned to discover who they were, who killed them–and why. Is the evil lurking at the borders of Elantra preparing to cross over?
At least the investigation delays her meeting with the Dragon Emperor. And as the shadows grow longer over the fiefs, Kaylin must use every skill she’s ever learned to save the people she’s sworn to protect. Sword in hand, dragons in sky, this time there’s no retreat and no surrender….
Trade Paperback: Luna Books, October 2011, 978-0-373-80330-9
Read the first chapter: Cast in Ruin, Chapter One.
- Assassin Fantastic contains Echoes, a story about Kallandras’ early years
- Battle Magic contains Warlord, a story about the origin of Jewel’s domicis, Avandar.
- The 30th Anniversary DAW Fantasy contains The Memory of Stone, a story about the head of the Maker’s guild, his apprentice, and her creations.
- Sirius, the Dog Star contains Huntbrother, a story about Cynthia of Maubreche that takes place after Hunter’s Death.
- Women of War contains The Black Ospreys, a story about The Kalakar and the formation of the Black Ospreys.
- In the Shadow of Evil contains The Weapon, a story taking place in the time of Veralaan and the Blood Barons.
Short Story Collections as Michelle West
Speaking with Angels (Hardcover)Five Star (Imprint of the Gale Group), June 2003, 0-7862-5343-6, 337 pagesFive Star publishes hard covers directed towards the library market so youmay not find it in most bookstores. However, it is listed atAmazon.Five Star’s web address is http://www.galegroup.com/fivestar.Cover Artist: Jody LeeIntroduction by Tanya HuffStories:
- Winter originally published in Deals with the Devil, 1994
- Gifted originally published in Aladdin, Master of the Lamp, 1992
- Hunger originally published in Christmas Ghosts, 1993
- Four Attempts at a Letter originally published in By any other Fame, 1994
- Turn of the Card originally published in Tarot Fantastic, 1997
- Sunrise originally published in A Dangerous Magic, 1999
- The Law of Man originally published in Elf Fantastic, 1997
- Ghostwood originally published in Enchanted Forests, 1995
- Under the Skin originally published in Elf Magic, 1997
- Elegy originally published in Moon Shots, 1999
- Diamonds originally published in Alien Pets, 1998
- Return of the King originally published in Merlin, 1999
- To Speak with Angels originally published in Villians Victorious, 2001
Short Stories as Michelle Sagara
- Birthnight, in Christmas Bestiary, ed. Rosalind M. Greenberg and Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, November 1992, 0-88677-528-0, 20 pages.
- Gifted, in Aladdin, Master of the Lamp ed. Mike Resnick and Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, December 1992, 0-88677-545-0, 12 pages.
- Shadow of a Change, in Dinosaur Fantastic, ed. Mike Resnick and Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, July 1993, 0-88677-566-3, 15 pages.
- For Love of God, in Alternate Warriors, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, September 1993, 0-812-52346-6, 14 pages.
- Hunger, in Christmas Ghosts, ed. Mike Resnick and Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, November 1993, 0-88677-586-8, 12 pages.
- Four Attempts at a Letter, in By any other Fame, ed. Mike Resnick and Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, January 1994, 0-88677-594-9, 18 pages.
- Winter, in Deals with the Devil, ed. Mike Resnick and Martin H. Greenberg and Loren D. Estheman, DAW, October 1994, 0-88677-623-6, 14 pages.
- What She Won’t Remember, in Alternate Outlaws, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, October 1994, 0-812-53344-5, 21 pages.
- The Hidden Grove, in Witch Fantastic, ed. Mike Resnick and Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, January 1995, 0-88677-640-6, 13 pages.
- Ghostwood, in Enchanted Forests, ed. Katharine Kerr and Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, December 1995, 0-88677-672-4, 21 pages.
- Shadow of a Change (reprint), in Dinosaurs! (hardcover), ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Donald I. Fine Books, 1996, 1-55611-482-6, 16 pages.
- When a Child Cries in Phantoms of the Night ed. Richard Gilliam and Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, June 1996, 0-88677-696-1, 14 pages.
- The Sword in the Stone, in Alternate Tyrants (trade paperback), ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, April 1997, 0-812-54835-3, 21 pgs
Short Stories as Michelle West or Michelle Sagara West
- Choice (Valdemar Story) in Sword of Ice ed. Mercedes Lackey DAW, Jan 1997, 0-88677-720-8, 27 pages.
- Turn of the Card in Tarot Fantastic ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Lawrence Schimel, DAW, Feb 1997, 0-88677-729-1, 30 pages.
- The Law of Man in Elf Fantastic ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, April 1997, 0-88677-736-4, 25 pages.
- Flight in Return of the Dinosaurs ed. Mike Resnick and Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, May 1997, 0-88677-753-4, 21 pages.
- The Vision of Men in The Fortune Teller ed. Lawrence Schimel and Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, August 1997, 0-88677-748-8, 23 pages.
- By the Work, One Knows in Zodiac Fantastic ed. Martin H. Greenberg and A.R.Morlen, DAW, September 1997, 0-88677-751-8, 34 pages.
- Under the Skin in Elf Magic ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, October 1997, 0-88677-761-5, 20 pages.
- The Dead that Sow in Wizard Fantastic ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, November 1997, 0-88677-756-9, 25 pages.
- Kin in Olympus ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Bruce D. Arthurs, DAW, March 1998, 0-88677-775-5, 18 pages.
- Childhood’s End in Tad William’s Mirror World (hardcover) Harper Prism, June 1998, 0-06-105545-X, 26 pages.
- Step on the Crack in Black Cats and Broken Mirrors ed. Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers, DAW, June 1998, 0-88677-788-7, 18 pages.
- The Vision of Men in Things Invisible to See (trade paperback) ed. Lawrence Schimel, Ultra Violet Library, September 1998, 1-885865-22-8, 27 pgs.
- Warlord in Battle Magic ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Larry Segriff, DAW, October 1998, 0-88677-820-4, 39 pages.
- Diamonds in Alien Pets ed. Denise Little, DAW, December 1998, 0-88677-822-0, 22 pages.
- Sunrise in A Dangerous Magic ed. Denise Little, DAW, February 1999, 0-88677-825-5, 52 pages.
- Elegy in Moon Shots ed. Peter Crowther, DAW, July 1999, 0-88677-848-4, 25 pages.
- Return of the King in Merlin ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, September 1999, 0-88677-841-7, 26 pages.
- Work In Progress in Alien Abductions ed. Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers, DAW, October 1999, 0-88677-856-5, 33 pages.
- Water Baby in Earth, Air, Fire and Water ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, November 1999, 0-88677-857-3, 29 pages.
- Faces Made of Clay in Mardi Gras Madness (trade paperback) ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Russel Davis, Cumberland House, 2000, 1-58182-077-1, ? pages.
- Sacrifice in Spell Fanstastic ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Larry Segriff, DAW, March 2000, 0-88677-878-6, 27 pages.
- Shelter in Perchance to Dream ed. Denise Little, DAW, April 2000, 0-88677-888-3, 36 pages.
- Dust in How I Survived My Summer Vacation (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) Pocket Books, August 2000, 0-7434-0040-2, 46 pages.
- Déjà Vu in Single White Vampire Seeks Same ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Brittiany A.Koren, DAW, January 2001, 0-88677-922-7, 26 pages.
- To Speak with Angels in Villians Victorious ed. Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers, DAW, April 2001, 0-88677-980-4, 13 pages.
- Lady of the Lake in Out of Avalon ed. Jennifer Roberson, DAW, May 2001, 0-451-45831-1, 28 pages.
- Echoes in Assassin Fantastic ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Alexander Potter, DAW, July 2001, 0-7564-0002-3, 43 pages.
- Truth in The Mutant Files ed. Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers, DAW, August 2001, 0-7564-0004-X, 30 pages.
- The Last Flight in Creature Fantastic ed. Denise Little, DAW, September 2001, 0-7564-0007-X, 23 pages.
- The Knight of Hydan Athe in Knight Fantastic ed. Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers, DAW, April 2002, 0-7564-0052-X, 45 pages.
- The Memory of Stone in The 30th Anniversary DAW Fantasy ed. Elizabeth R. Wollheim and Sheila E. Glibert, DAW, May 2002, 0-7564-0070-8, 62 pages.
- Legacy in Familiars ed. Denise Little, DAW, July 2002, 0-7564-0081-3, 90 pages.
- The Nightingale in Once Upon a Galaxy ed. Wil McCarthy, Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers, DAW, Sept 2002, 0-7564-0091-0, 38 pages.
- A Quiet Justice in Vengeance Fantastic ed. Denise Little, DAW, Oct 2002, 0-7564-0084-8, 27 pages.
- The Augustine Painters in Apprentice Fantastic ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Russel Davis, DAW, Nov 2002, 0-7564-0093-7, 44 pages.
- How to Kill and Immortal in The Bakka Anthology (trade paperback) ed. Kristen Pederson Chew, Bakka Bookstore, Dec 2002, 0-9731508-3-1, 26 pages.
- Birthnight (Reprint with New Introduction By Michelle West) in Magical Beginnings ed. Steven H. Silver and Martin H. Greenberg DAW, Feb 2003, 0-7564-0121-6, 18 pages.
- Diary in The Sorceror’s Academy ed. Denise Little DAW, Sept 2003, 0-7564-0157-7, 34 pages.
- Winter Death (Valdemar Story) in Sun in Glory ed. Mercedes Lackey DAW, Dec 2003, 0-7564-0166-6, 64 pages.
- Dime Store Rings in The Magic Shop ed. Denise Little DAW, Feb 2004, 0-7564-0173-9, 24 pages.
- To the Gods Their Due in Conqueror Fantastic ed. Pamela Sargent DAW, April 2004, 0-7564-0191-7, 55 pages.
- The Stolen Child in Faerie Tales ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Russel Davis DAW, May 2004, 0-7564-0182-8, 40 pages.
- Huntbrother in Sirius, the Dog Star ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Alexander Potter DAW, June 2004, 0-7564-0186-0, 63 pages.
- The Rose Garden in Little Red Riding Hood in the Big Bad City ed. Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers DAW, July 2004, 0-7564-0233-6, 32 pages.
- The Colors of Augustine in Summoned to Destiny (trade paperback) ed. Julie Czerneda Fitzenhenry and Whiteside, Oct 2004, 1-55041-861-0. 100 pages. (Note: This story takes place in the same universe as The Augustine Painters in Apprentice Fantastic.)
- Unicorn Hunt in Maiden, Matron, Crone ed. Kerrie Huges and Martin H. Greenberg DAW, May 2005, 0-7564-0286-7, 36 pages.
- The Black Ospreys in Women of War ed. Tanya Huff and Alexander Potter DAW, July 2005, 0-7564-0284-0, 52 pages.
- The Weapon in In the Shadow of Evil ed. Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers DAW, August 2005, 0-7564-0287-5, 46 pages.
- The Snow Queen written with Debbie Ridpath Ohi in Magic Tails ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Janet Pack DAW, September 2005, 0-7564-0288-3, 46 pages.
- Shahira in Children of Magic ed. Martin H. Greenberg and Kerrie Hughes DAW, June 2006, 0-7564-0361-8, 39 pages.
Other Publications as Michelle Sagara
- Introduction to What Ho, Magic!, A Collection of Short Stories by Tanya Huff Meisha Merlin Publishing, March 1999, 1-892065-04-5, 4 pages.
Other Publications as Michelle West
- Introduction to Troll Bridge by Terry Pratchett in My Favorite Fantasy Story, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, August 2000, 0-88677-905-7, 2 pages.
- La Loi de l’Homme in It Etait Une Fee (trade paperback) [FRENCH] ed. Léa Silhol, Editions de l’Oxymore, 2000, 2-913939-03-1, 30 pages.
- Sacrifice in Sortiléges (trade paperback) [FRENCH] ed. Natacha Giordano, Editions de l’Oxymore, May 2001, 2-913939-06-6, 24 pages.
- Une Justice Silencieuse in Mythophages (trade paperback) [FRENCH] ed. Léa Silhol, Editions de l’Oxymore, Sept 2004, 2-913939-31-7, 32 pages.
- Die Herrin Vom See in Jenseits Von Avalon (hardcover) [GERMAN] ed. Jennifer Roberson, Knaur, 1999, 3-426-66059-8, 31 pgs
- Die Herrin Vom See in Jenseits Von Avalon (hardcover) [GERMAN] ed. Jennifer Roberson, Knaur, 1999, 3-426-66059-8, 31 pgs
- Le Secret D’Elantra (Translation of Cast in Shadow) Translated by Sylvie Lebreton Luna, 2006, 2-280-15437-4, Trade Paperback, 411 pgs
- Interview with Michelle Sagara West in Northern Dreamers (Interviews with Famous Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writers) (trade paperback) by Edo von Belkom, Quarry Press, 1998, 1-55082-206-3, 10 pages.
- For the Love of Riley in Seven Seasons of Buffy (trade paperback) ed. Glenn Yeffeth, Benbella Books, April 2003, 1-932100-08-3, 7 pages.
- Why We Love Lindsay in Five Seasons of Angel (trade paperback) ed. Glenn Yeffeth, Benbella Books, October 2004, 1-932100-33-4, 10 pages.
- More than a Marriage of Convenience in Finding Serenity (trade paperback) ed. Jane Espenson, Benbella Books, 2004, 1-932100-43-1, 8 pages.
Book Review Column
Guilty Pleasures—The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (incomplete)
- May 1996
- July 1996
- September 1996
- December 1996
- April 1997
- May 1997
Musing on Books – The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (incomplete)
- September 1997
- January 1998
- March 1998
- July 1998
- December 1998
- April 1999
- August 1999
- February 2000
- June 2000
- November 2000
- July 2001
- July 2002
- December 2002
- April 2003
- September 2003
- February 2004
- May 2004
- September 2004
- Many since then…
If anyone has a more complete set of issues of F+SF and is willing to go through themto report the columns I missed, I’d be more than grateful.(email@example.com).